There are different types of healthcare providers, and in this post we will simply give a brief overview of the different types. Some of them are involved in primary care, others are involved in nursing care and the rest of them are involved in specialty care. In this article, we will discuss about all the healthcare providers.
The person we consult for minor health problems and checkups is a primary care provider. There are different kinds of practitioners under primary care.
- Generalist: He is the person who specializes in family practice, internal medicine and pediatrics.
- Obstetricians and Gynecologists: They are the people who specialize in gynecology and obstetrics. They are concerned with women’s health care and prenatal care.
- Nurse Practitioners: They can address women’s wellness and also assist in family medicine.
- Physical Assistant: They collaborate with a Doctor of Medicine (MD) to provide treatment.
Every hospital or nursing home has a nursing care community. They assist doctors and look after the patients.
- Licensed Practical Nurses: These nurses are trained to look after the sick.
- Clinical Nurse Specialists: They have training in psychiatric and cardiac health.
- Certified Nurse Midwives: They look after women’s health including labor and delivery and prenatal care.
- Nurse Anesthetists: They are trained about how to administer general anesthesia to the patients.
The primary care provider refers to a specialty care provider when necessary. There are various specialty care providers. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Cardiologist: Someone who treats heart disorders.
- Dermatologist: Someone who treats skin disorders.
- Endocrinologist: Someone who treats metabolic and hormonal disorders.
- Hematologist: Someone who treats blood disorders.
- Immunologist: Someone who treats immune system disorders.
- Neurologist: Someone who treats disorders of the nervous system.
- Nephrologist: Someone who treats kidney disorders.
- General surgeon: Someone who performs surgeries in any part of the human body.
- Gastroenterologist: Someone who treats digestive system disorders.
- Oncologist: Someone who treats cancer.
- Ophthalmologist: Someone who treats disorders of eye and perform eye surgeries.
- Orthopedist: Someone who treats bone and ligament disorders.
- Psychiatrist: Someone who treats mental and emotional disorders.
- Physical therapist: Someone who treats physical disorders such as shoulder injuries and spinal cord injuries.
- Pulmonologist: Someone who treats respiratory tract and lung disorders.
- Radiologist: Someone who supervises procedures such as ultrasound and X rays.
- Urologist: Someone who treats urinary tract infection and disorders.
All these health care providers try to deliver the best health care to patients. In today’s day, we have a wide range of healthcare services. We must choose wisely the perfect health care provider as our money and health depends on it.