Treatment Data System (TDS) was legislatively authorized by the State Legislature in 1983. The Federal Government has stated that the office of SAMHS (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services) should submit the treatment data monthly to them. The Treatment Data System is an effective tool which should abide by that monthly reporting of treatment data to the government. The system also grants the office of SAMHS to monitor how the treatment is going.
Treatment Data System collects proper admission data and discharge data of patients admitted for substance abuse treatment. The system is safe and secure. It requires a user ID and user password to log in. The reporting of treatment data is divided into 4 categories.
- Treatment agencies of SAMHS must report the treatment data to all their clients.
- All the providers of Substance Abuse Treatment should report the treatment data to all their clients in the Treatment Data System (TDS).
- Agencies of Methadone should report the treatment data to all their clients.
- Private providers must report the treatment data to only those private clients they work for, namely DEEP (Driver Education and Evaluation Program) clients.
The treatment data is periodically accumulated for placing it on the SAMHS web page. All the agencies and providers of Substance Abuse Treatment should be licensed by the Maine Department of Licensing and Regulatory services. These agencies and providers are obliged to submit the treatment data electronically unless and until they have been told to do otherwise for some specific reasons.
A TDS form is required whenever the clinician starts treating the patient who has a substance abuse issue. If the clinician addresses any MR/MH issue, then no such form is required.
Department of Human Services (DHS) is a partner in substance abuse treatment. It is the request of DHS that the providers of substance abuse treatment should communicate with their organization for the arrangement of the Star Data System. The Star Data System is recently introduced by DHS. It is the replacement for the Client Information System and is made mandatory. The treatment data in the Star Data System will further include the following:
- The Reporting and Discharge process.
- The Process of Recovery
- The Treatment and Assessment process.
- The Screening and Referral process.
- The Continued Stay and Intervention process.
The Treatment Data helps people to overcome their drug addiction in a systematized manner. Understanding treatment data is beneficial for both the patient and his doctor. Substance misuse is the root cause of family problems and it can be solved by proper treatment. Proper treatment can be provided by following the Treatment Data System (TDS).