Every medical center has medical claims data. Claims data are receipts which are developed mainly for the purpose of health insurance payment system. Medical claims data contain a wide range of information about services related to healthcare. The information includes receipts of admission of patients, treatment receipts and discharge receipts of patients. Typically the information of medical claims data is presented in the following manner:
- The date and time when the patient visited the medical center.
- The gender and age of the patient.
- The facilities provided to the patient namely type of management, bed size, specialty treatment and so on.
- The reason for which the patient visited the medical center. It includes the name of all diagnoses.
- The total number of times the patient visited the medical center and the number of days he or she is hospitalized.
- Details about the type of treatment administered to the patient. This includes home care, injection, medication, anesthesia, operation, radiation therapy, examinations etc.
- The total amount of money required for the treatment.
There are many advantages of medical claims data. They are as follows:
- Medical Claims Data are anonymous, cheap, plenty in numbers and are available largely in electronic format. Researchers use medical claims data for their research work. The aspect of anonymity is extremely beneficial for the researchers especially for studies that deal with collecting sensitive information from patients. Patients are often not accurate with self-reporting and so the medical claims data are a much better alternative.
- Medical Claims Database can also find a large group of patients who has or had rare conditions such as aplastic anemia. These rare conditions are difficult to find by any other way.
- Medical Claims Data can also help to determine the expense of certain diagnoses.
- One of the most important uses of Medical Claims Data is that it acts as a wonderful substitute for the information stored in the medical records of patients. The medical records of patients are difficult to access as they are seldom available in the electronic format. The Medical Claims Data serves a great substitute as it is available in the electronic format.
- Using Medical Claims Data do not require permission from patients. Thus they can be used for surveys without any problem.
Medical claims data are responsible for most of the medical research studies that have been published in books. Medical claims data are studied by researchers in details. They are extremely useful and beneficial for the medical centers, researchers and physicians.