A worldwide survey was conducted from mid-November 2013 to mid-December 2013. Patients from 43 countries were divided into 800 groups and their views were noted. First, feedback was taken from each group of patients on the pharmaceutical industry’s corporate reputation during the year 2013. Next, feedback was taken from each group on the individual reputation of 33 Pharma companies during 2013. At the end, the results obtained were compared to the results of 2012 and 2011.
The industry grabbed a positive response from 35 % of the patient groups. Some of these patient groups declared that global Pharma companies have an excellent reputation whereas the remaining patient groups said that global Pharma companies had a good reputation in the year 2013. These patient groups placed Pharma 7th among several healthcare industries. Pharma was ranked below Biotech companies, medical device companies but was ranked above commercial health insurers.
The corporate reputation of Pharma, as perceived by patients in 2013, was similar to that of 2012 . The positive feedback from the patient groups is attributed to the following factors:
- Positive media reports about Pharma and the comments obtained from fellow patient groups.
- Good reports on products which brings hope to people who are suffering from health problems.
- Patient groups feel that a relationship with a company can be counted on for the long-term.
- The patient groups feel that a company is focusing on patient care by carrying out research and supporting organizations with specific patient populations and patient advocacy groups.
- The patient groups like companies that are patient-centric and is working for the benefit of patients.
Since there are many Pharma companies; and not all fare well, the overall perception of the industry oscillates. Some companies fulfill the expectations of patients whereas others fail. Thus the reputation of the industry fluctuates every year.